My Speech is about the scientists who had the main influence on our current time and have shaped our contemporary view of the world (Also called in Theology the "Zeitgeist").
I have chosen two of them who were in many ways just opposites. One is extremely famous and the other is almost unknown except to specialists. The most famous is of course Albert Einstein. He has significantly altered our view of the world with his Theory of Relativity.
The other one is not so well known, his works are commonly are associated with Einstein instead.
His name is Heisenberg. He worked mainly in Quantum Physics and was responsible for the development of the Principle of Uncertainty. This is one of the topics of this speech.
Incidentally both are German like I am. Their lives where shaped by the confrontation with Nazi-Germany. Einstein was Jewish and left in 1933 when Hitler came to power. Heisenberg tried to compromise with the Nazis and make the best(whatever that was) out of it. During the war both were active on different sides in the race for the development of the Atomic Bomb.
Thats surely one of the reasons Heisenberg is not so well known.
I think it is important to understand their ideas because they have had a great effect on our present society. We will better understand our present society by knowing a little bit about them.
Many have tried to explain what these Theories mean and there has been a lot of Hype about it. Most do not understand what this is all about. So lets make a survey! The very interesting thing is that there are a lot of elements in these Theories which are important for our beliefs and thereby also our Faith!
B. Einstein and his Theor...
... middle of paper ...
...rd for scientists to accept. No wonder that Einstein objected
"God does not throw dice".
I want to close with a final Citation from Ecclesiastes, which basically says the same:
When I applied my mind to know wisdom, and to see the business that is done on earth, how one's eyes see sleep neither day nor night, then I saw all the work of God, that no one can find out what is happening under the sun. However much they may toil in seeking, they will not find it out; even though those who are wise claim to know, they cannot find it out.(Eccl 8:16-17 (NRSV))
Bible Quotation : NRSV (New Revised Standard Version)
Cassidy, David Charles "Uncertainty: the life and science of Werner Heisenberg", New York 1992, W.H. Freeman and Company
Friedman, Alan J. and Carol C. Donley "Einstein As Myth and Muse" Cambrige 1985, Cambridge University Press
Need Writing Help?
Get feedback on grammar, clarity, concision and logic instantly.Check your paper »
- Informative Speech: The History of Pluto Specific Purpose Statement: By the end of my speech my audience will be able to explain the history behind Pluto becoming a planet and in turn losing its planetary status. INTRODUCTION: Attention Getter: Growing up learning about the planets my first grade teacher told me, “My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nine Pies” was a way to remember the order of the planets. Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. Apparently now teachers teach it as, “My Very Educated Mother Just Served Us Nachos”.... [tags: Informative Speech]
1112 words (3.2 pages)
- General Purpose: To inform the audience about the cause, affect and ways to manage stress. Specific Purpose Statement: The audience will learn what causes stress and how stress can affect their health, and how they can manage their everyday stress with different techniques. INTRODUCTION Attention Getter: Life is like a huge roller coaster, a journey full of twists and turns, and ups and downs. And sometimes in this journey there arises various situations where one is unable to deal with these turns, let alone have the energy to face the ups and downs.... [tags: Informative Speech]
893 words (2.6 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To invite my audience to explore the advantages, disadvantages, and the alternatives associated with breed specific legislation. Thesis: Breed specific legislation is a controversial topic in which I am very interested and would like to explore both sides of the issue to perhaps learn something new. Pattern of Organization: Multiple Perspectives Introduction I. [Attention Getter] Imagine you were told you couldn't do something or live somewhere for the sole reason you looked dangerous.... [tags: Informative Speech]
743 words (2.1 pages)
- PURPOSE: To inform my audience about people in the United States living with spinal cord injuries There are about a quarter of a million people in the United States living with spinal cord injuries. In addition, between 7,600 and 10,000 new injuries occur each year. Nearly half of these new injuries will occur in young people between the ages of 16 and 30.... [tags: Informative Speech]
980 words (2.8 pages)
- Illegal Drugs Informative Speech Introduction: Marijuana, cocaine, heroin, PCP, speed, shrooms, crystal meth, and angel dust are all types of illegal drugs. What is an illegal drug. An illegal drug is something and often a substance that causes addiction, habituation, or a marked change in consciousness. Body: I. Illegal Drugs The use of illegal drugs in the United States is considered by some to be the biggest problem in our society. Over 40% of high school seniors use some kind of illegal drug, and in a recent 1999 National Household Survey on Drug Abuse showed that the three most common drugs are Marijuana used by 11,100,000 people, Cocaine used by 1,500,000 people, and inhalants... [tags: Example Informative Speech]
549 words (1.6 pages)
- Specific Purpose: I want my audience to know how they can improve their bowling scores the next time they go out on a Friday night. Organizational Pattern: Informative Introduction I. Attention-Getting Device: How many of you guys think that you are the world's worst bowler. I bet you didn't know that the lowest game ever bowled by a man on ABC men's league is two. Mike Kappa, of Racine, Wisconsin, accomplished his outrageous score by throwing 18 gutter balls. However Richard Caplette, of Danielson, Connecticut, who threw nineteen in one game, holds the record for the most gutter balls.... [tags: Informative Speech]
780 words (2.2 pages)
- Purpose Statement: To inform my audience about solar flares INTRO I. Solar flares are violent eruptions of gases that release ultra-violet radiation, x-rays and gammy rays. It's an enormous explosion of hydrogen and helium above the sun surface. A. It's a sudden rapid and intense variation in brightness that happens every eleven years B. They usually last an average of 20 minutes and are a remarkable phenomenon. C. Imagine gigantic blobs of materials held together by powerful magnetic forces. All of a sudden they launch into earth's magnetosphere.... [tags: Informative Speech]
307 words (0.9 pages)
- Intro: Hello my name is Nick and I am giving my speech on Alzheimer’s Disease. I was thinking of what I could do for a speech. Then I thought I wanted to inform people on something that little know about. Then it hit me. Alzheimer’s Disease it has affected my life so much and I know so much about it. So I am going to tell you how it has affected my life in more ways than one. Before I start I want you to imagine something. Look around you know everyone right. All these faces you see practically see everyday take all that you know about them and forget it.... [tags: Informative Speech]
726 words (2.1 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To inform the audience about the criteria for becoming a blood donor I. Introduction A. As you sit in a classroom at the Community College, you may not think that saving a life is something you could do today, but, in fact, it's quite easy to do. 1. The first thing that may come to mind is some sort of emergency rescue. 2. The easiset way to save a life is blood donation. a. done in less than 1 hour b. relatively painless c.... [tags: Example Informative Speech]
717 words (2 pages)
- Specific Purpose Statement: To inform my audience about the production of chocolate Central Idea: Explain how cocoa beans are processed to produce the chocolate we all know and love Method of Organization: Chronological Visual Aid: Before my introduction and before class begins, I will have a chocolate collection for people to choose from as a snack. It will not be handed out during my speech so that it will not distract others.... [tags: Example Informative Speech]
1390 words (4 pages)